Friday, October 19, 2012

End of Season Changes. Qualifying for Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii.



Typically a professional road cyclist’s season ends around September each year. After months of travel and racing, the well-deserved off-season is welcomed. My “season” actually began January 1 and was to conclude in September after a hard block of training for Ironman Canada. Surprisingly I qualified in Penticton for Ironman Hawaii, while elated this also meant a precise plan of recovery, some training and taper. While a few questions stirred in my head; Can I financially and physically afford this was the main one? But one thing I know, is slots to Kona are not easily acquired by any means and my body is not getting any younger. SIGN ME up!

ke the slot and better prepare for a key race next year. After going against his suggestion, he explained he no longer wished to coach me for this event. Ok, now to find someone who can get to know my training, habits, physiology from over the last 12-13 years?! This was not going to be easy, however after 5 days, some personal sponsorship and tracking down a tri-coach who is one of the best in the business I was on the right track and very relieved to work with Matt Dixon from Purplepatch.

Next up, my goal was to improve the functionality of my knee which had undergone serious trauma, inflammation and probably shock from the day.  I had x-rays, acupuncture, physical therapy, ART and almost daily cyro-massage to look after it.  At approximately 1 month later I was able to run for :30-:40 minutes which is still my current maximum time, but along with this slow improvement other ailments arose. Two weeks before I had my last solid brick to complete and an old hamstring injury decided to return in full-force. A headcold  just 12 days out put me into a few days of immediate rest, possibly for the better. While typically these few set-backs would completely frustrate me I remained patient and calm, doing the best I could to possibly treat them and hope to heal in a week’s time. Mind over matter I thought.

My arrival to Kona-minus 8 days before the start. This was just about the right timing, enough time prior to soak in the time change, warm weather, fresh foods and relax before the days became filled with running around.  The weekend included some good training rides and a few short runs, concluded with a beautiful open water swim. My husband, Jono and I are staying at a host family just up the road 1.5 miles from the start, so our daily walk has actually helped build up some strength in my hamstring and knee which I am very pleased about. The population on the island grows daily and Alii drive is packed with ripped bodies running, cycling up and down the road in preparation or for show before the  race.  I try to not get too wrapped up in all the various pre-race activities because it can really suck the energy out of you and I have also found myself dreaming about the race way too far in advance. The heat, my equipment, nutrition, pacing, body’s response and everything I will be concerned with on race day will come soon enough.

There is just 4 days leading into the event. I’m very settled in my environment with great hosts. The time change has been easy and now starting to really stay off my feet and rest before Saturday. Anything can happen on the day, but staying mentally strong, inspired and motivated will remain key in my quest for a finish at the Ironman Hawaii World Championships.

Thanks for reading.
Liza

No comments:

Post a Comment