Thursday, July 19, 2012

Review: Leg Lube Performance Shave Gel


Leg Lube Performance Shave Gel
Price: $8.95 for a 100ml bottle
Pros: works very well, legs are smoother, razor glides much better, a single application covers quite a bit of the leg.
Cons: The mentholated smell may not appeal to all, post shave warming sensation may take a while to get used to, doesn't foam so you don't have "a trail" of where you've already shaved.
Website: www.leglube.com

Summary:
In 2006, I shaved my legs for the first time. I was racing in the MTB Nationals and my coach told me it would make me feel more confident.

Let me tell you, it wasn't a pretty site. If you've ever seen anyone sheer a Wookie, then you pretty much know what the scene looked like. We started on the first layer with a weed whacker, then went with electric trimmers and finally took a razor to the last layer.

Every other day since July of 2006, I've carried out this ritual of keeping my legs smoother than a baby's butt to the point where it now looks odd if I get a little growth going on the pins.  I've even "borrowed" my wife's Venus vibrating razor because it worked so much better than a regular one. I'm dedicated to my hygiene if nothing else.

Basically, my guess is my wife never dreamed her future husband would utter "oh man, my legs are a little sparky, time to shave" at the dinner table. Lucky for me, the good people at Leg Lube have created a performance shave gel that now makes this a lot easier.

I usually use Edge gel, and on occasion, cream when I'm slumming it. I've even found out the hard way why Tecnu Extreme is a horrible choice for shaving your legs. Don't ask, two years later while I've got a scar to prove it, I still don't have an explanation as to why I used a poison oak rinse to shave my legs.

At any rate, Leg Lube Performance Shave Gel, good stuff. I recently used it and found that it is a pretty good product that does a great job at keeping my legs silky smooth. And, no, that's not odd for a fella to say that. And yes, I DO like Shirley Temples (shaken, not stirred) and I'm not afraid to admit it.

The container looks more like a bottle of TriFlow than it does a shaving accessory which makes it easy to apply. Even when the bottle was wet, it had a pretty tack to it as where a shave gel can get slippery in the shower. Especially when there is foam residue on it.

One of the things I liked was there is no shaking, gunking up of the nozzle or rubbing the hands together to create a foam. You apply it directly to the desired area, rub it in/around and start your landscaping.

Here are my thoughts on Leg Lube Performance Gel after the first use:
  • I found the razor glides much better than it does with traditional gel/cream.
  • Smells nice, legs felt warm post shave like after applying Tiger Balm. This was nice because my legs are usually sore/fatigued from riding and lifting.
  • Doesn't gunk up the razor as much, and its much easier to rinse between swipes.
  • Legs seemed much smoother post shave than traditional shaving gels/creams.
  • Doesn't have that "film" feeling you can sometimes get with gel/cream.
  • Legs didn't feel as dry like they do after gel/cream shaving.
Since My wife also needed to break out the leg razor on the same night, I asked her to use it as well and share her thoughts. She's a mountain biking triathlete making her the perfect candidate for the product.

Here's what she found:
  • She felt like you might go through it fast, and at $8.95/container, that could get pricey. 
  • She said she noticed the razor gliding better.
  • While she liked the product, she said she didn't like not having "a road map of where you've shaved" like you do with gel/cream.
  • She found it easier for the bikini line.
  • She too found her legs seemed smoother/softer post shave.
  • She thought it definitely worked better than gel/cream
  • However, she didn't like the post shave "old man rub smell"
This is a pretty good product that lives up to its name. I'd have no problem recommending Leg Lube to endurance athletes who have a regular shaving ritual.

If you'd like more information on Leg Lube, or would like to pick some up, please visit the LegLube.com website (http://www.leglube.com/performance-shave-gel/).

From the LegLube.com website:
"Created by athletes – for athletes, LEG LUBE® PERFORMANCE SHAVE GEL offers exceptional performance over ordinary soap and shaving cream. Our ultra-lubricating formula reduces drag, nicks, in-grown hairs, razor burn and dry skin and can be used anywhere you shave: on LEGS, FACE, ARMS, CHEST, HEAD, BIKINI and BACK. You can even use the product out of the shower!"

FEATURES:
• Can be used IN-or-OUT of the SHOWER
• Formulated for both MEN & WOMEN
FRESH SCENT dissipates after use
• Leaves legs feeling FRESH and “TINGLY
EASY-TO-USE (one “bead” is all you need)
• Works EVERYWHERE (legs, face, arms, etc…)
TSA APPROVED SIZE can be carried-on anywhere in the world
PARABEN FREE formula with Aloe, Eucalyptus and other essential oils
• Product & Packaging are Made in U.S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment